UNIT 6 - Stop & Return. My Final Selections THESE ARE MY FINAL PICKS FROM THIS ASSIGNMENT.

                     MY FINAL SELECTIONS 

                            by Devon Green 

I'd originally set out to work on making photographs of black youths who're often viewed in a bad light by society. I wanted to address this predicament and place them in a positive light one which exists but is often unseen. I'd made several images for my project. However, I was struck with  unfortunate circumstances, when my camera with all said files for the project were stolen at the last moment.

It was suggested by the tutor that I change my plans and use images which I'd made a couple of weeks before this presentation. These are of images made during a street photography tour of Shoreditch in East London with the photography group and tutor.

                HERE ARE MY PHOTOGRAPHS  

This shot said something about intimacy to me. The enduring image of a mother and child. I liked the way in which the mother interacted with her son before the shot was made. Also the logo of Queen on the mother's hat underscores the fact that she's in charge of her young prince.Everything's alright as long as the boy has her with him there's no need to worry. He's protected.

I liked the union jack poster with the words, Panicking in the UK. The poster is a pastiche of one which the British punk rock group, The sex pistols, used to promote their single , Anarchy in the UK in 1977. A reference of which I appreciated. I don't quite remember at the time of making the shot if i saw the correlation between panic, and the movement of figures in the shot, which implies that they might be walking in a rush, in a panic. But I think the shot works.



This was one of the first images I made on this meet-up. I'm not entirely sure of what attracted me to it, or at least I can't remember. But the driver was just sitting there in the car, and it was as if the scene just whispered 'press the shutter'. In retrospect i like the juxtaposition of the riot of colours and the and the calm and sedate colour of the vehicle and the chilled driver.



The people at the top of the stairs in this shot are three young Korean girls. A model, a photographer, and an assistant. Most of us in our group, including me had a brief chat with them. On walking down the steps, I looked back and thought that this would make a great image. Plus it would serve as a visual momento of the occasion. This was my second attempt of making this shot. I think the elements come together n this shot work . The leading lines, the colours, the graffiti, the contrast of the girls attire.



I made several shots of this man and his dog. The others were vertical, and the man was  completely visible, so the dog wouldn't be as isolated as in this shot. I think this being landscape,is the best example of all  the shots made of them. I wanted to bring out the potential humour i saw in this  scene. The dog looking back, as if to say, what are you doing? The moving feet of the man which is mirrored by the dog, and the bicycle which also implies movement, the thought of, who is that person? 



 After trying to a photograph of an Asian man who placed his hand over his face at the last moment, so that I lost the shot. I saw this man walking towards me and decided to make a photograph of him. As with the Asian man he didn't want to have his photograph made either. But unlike the Asian man I got my shot. It was just what I was looking for. I like the paparazzi style of this shot. And i'm quite pleased with it.




This was our meeting point outside Shoreditch train station. Due to a previous appointment I arrived after the others. While waiting for them to find me I used the time to make several shots. I liked all the chaos going on outside the station and decided to record some of  it. I think this is the best example of the photographs I made. 


                      To be continued.................

..








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNIT 7 The photographic project. (LO1) Understand photographic research LO1 1.1 Identify a subject for a photography project.